My fault for wasting most of my late afternoon/early evening on playing around with Blogger and setting up a blog there.
Just out of curiosity. I deleted it.
I’ll stick to WordPress, thank you very much.
I could have gotten this post ready instead of playing around.
But I didn’t…
And today I paid the price. I sit here, working on it now at 9:05 pm…
Because my shower looked like this in the morning, before the tile guys showed up.
They showed up earlier than we expected (that’s good, right?) and now my shower looks like this.
At the same time a guy from ATT showed up and we lost the Internet!!! 🙁 I.was.not.happy.
Then hubby’s grandma called… she couldn’t get anyone to come over to stay with her when a guy from Comcast was coming by to fix her TV. She’s almost 86… So, Susi to the rescue. I packed up the girls (Middle, her bestie and Little One) and we met her for lunch and then some pool fun at her house while the Comcast guy did his thing.
My bathroom still looks like this.
Yesterday, I played some more with my camera, been shooting mostly in manual and love the way this came out.
Our Macy checking out what’s going on outside from her comfy spot. Yes, that is her couch!!! 🙂
Here is the hubby with his new toy– a flight simulation game with proper joystick– on the big TV.
Even Little One is enthralled. And the other kids have taken their turn at the “wheel”.
Fun for everyone.
This is Middle mid jump at grandma’s this afternoon. Did I mention that they love the pool, any pool?
And Little One not to be outdone by big sister joined in.
I’m sitting here by the pool in my bathing suit still drying off from my swim. The boy, Little One and I had our lunch right here at this shady table on our pool deck.
I wanted to write a recap of my experience at my first blog conference at She Con in Orlando two weekends ago.
But now, sitting here, in the midst of enjoying a nice Summer day, I decided to join Stasha instead and share with you some of my Summer memories!!!
These are 10 memories that came to me as I was thinking about summers gone by…
1) I’m six or seven, sitting in the grass opposite our house, in my shorts and sandals enjoying a wedge of fresh, cool watermelon that someone, the neighbor maybe, had somehow gotten his hands on, juice dripping all over my hands, legs, shirt and spitting out seeds. (At the time, I lived in communist controlled East-Germany and a watermelon was a treasure. I still remember how excited and happy we were each Summer for that one wedge… I still love watermelon.)
2) Around the same age, walking into town to the ice-cream shop that only opened it’s doors during the Summer. We took a thermos, had it filled with soft serve ice-cream to bring home and had a cone, usually strawberry for me, on the way back. Soft serve is still by far my favorite ice cream.
3) Summers spent at grandma’s house, sitting on her porch, surrounded by evergreens, vines and flowers, eating dinner outside… bratwurst on the grill, her cucumber-tomato salad, so colorful and refreshing.
4) Laundry, that I may or may not have hung, snapping in the breeze… my favorite always, sheets and pillowcases. Walking through them, smelling that fresh, clean scent.
5) Vacation in Prague, on to Slovakia were we stayed at a lake resort, walking through the campground to get to the lake, swimming in the cold, cold lake, walking with my little sister in the mornings to get fresh baked croissants from the little store for breakfast. A day in Vienna, seeing the city from a horse drawn carriage.
6) Our vacation in Sweden. Six hours in the car to get to Kiel, a 14 hours ferry ride to Goeteborg, Sweden, six more hours in the car to our destination in the mountains. Hiking in the mountains, around the lakes, long, long Summer nights that were light as day. I remember the light… so strange and beautiful.
7) Riding our bikes to the lake, swimming, having fun, being chased and dunked by the boys, standing in line for ice cream or a snack, laying on our towels in the grass, listening to Guns’n’Roses on our walkmans’ and not having a care in the world.
8)The first time my uncle, aunt and cousin came to visit from Germany, going to Disney World with them in August, driving to Orlando after I had just gotten my license, being terrified on I-4, and then… the magic of Disney, seeing the Cinderella castle for the first time, finding a mister and feeling the coolness and the parade and fireworks at night.
9) The Summer of 1999, going back to Germany… for a visit and so much more. Frankfurt, the US Consulate, important paperwork, a doctors visit, time spent with friends that I hadn’t seen in a few years, hanging out, driving around, staying out all night with my sister, grandma and mom meeting us on the drive-way, upset and worried, us, tired, not a care in the world… then goodbyes that were hard, nervous on the flight back with sealed paperwork, arriving at the airport in Ft. Myers, sitting in an office, waiting, fingerprints and then… yes, our Greencards.
10) And now, each and every Summer for the past 10 years of living here in our home, days spent in our bathing suits, swimming, splashing around in our backyard pool sitting in the shade, relaxing with first one, then two and now three kids. One of my favorite ways to spent lazy Summer days. 🙂
Writing this post made me so happy. Thinking about these memories, replaying them in my mind, watching them like a movie. So fun!!! Thanks for letting me take a trip down memory lane…